I have always thought that the ‘Rap Rock’ genre has been a very difficult genre to get right. What even is 'Rap Rock?' The uncertainty and confused looks that arise when trying to define or explain a song or a group associated to the genre even suggests that it is a something many avoid like the plague and are too afraid to attempt. In the past many have tried and failed or simply hung around long enough to disappear into the music industry black hole or until their fans to move onto something else.
French group Süeür are a band who have been making noise recently and rapidly gathering a cult fan base. Süeür which translates to English as ‘sweat’ are a two piece made up of Théo Cholbi and Florian Serrain and are a mix of post punk, rock, rap and hip hop. Now that might sound like a strange concoction of sounds to describe any band or group but the simple fact is that the talented duo are an interesting mix of just that.
Süeür played the Rock en Seine festival last year however with the current Coronavirus pandemic restrictions, this years event has unfortunately been postponed until 2021.
In an interview with Rock en Seine last year, the group were asked to 'define the sound of Süeür?'
Florian Serrain: A mix of hip hop and post punk. Quite powerful, electronic sounds, with rhythms very inspired by current hip hop.
Théo Cholbi: We had a good catchphrase at the time but it is a bit annoying: for rockers, it's rap and for rappers, it's rock! (laughs)
Whatever genre you want to call it, Süeür have a unique sound and are not afraid to take risks which is something you can only admire. They are rethinking the much-maligned genre and are becoming increasing popular throughout Europe and not just in France. They are edgy, intriguing, full of energy and can be quite dark in their lyrics. They are a group that once you see what they have to offer, they leave you wanting more. In some part they are creating their own sound, their own genre but at the same time they are breathing new life into a genre which in the past decade has faded fast and become pretty much non existent.
Sueur have also just recently announced they will be going on tour in the fall and you can view the tour dates as below:
- 15 Septembre 2020 : RIORGES – Les Mardi(s) du Grand Marais (Salle du Grand Marais)
- 06 Octobre 2020 : BRUXELLES – Nuits Botaniques
- 17 Octobre 2020 : ANNEMASSE – Chateau Rouge Club – avec Freeze Corléone
- 29 Octobre 2020 : BORDEAUX – Krakatoa Club
- 5 Novembre 2020 : OPTION Le Mans – Festival BeBop
- 12 Novembre 2020 : ANGERS – Festival les Zéclectiques – plateau à définir – set à 22h30
- 14 Novembre 2020: BETHUNE – Le Poche
- 28 Novembre 2020 : CHAVILLE – Mjc La vallée – en co-plateau avec Glauque
- 04 Décembre 2020 : AIX EN PROVENCE – 6mic – option
- 10 Décembre 2020 : PARIS – FGO
- 17 Décembre 2020 : STRASBOURG – La Laiterie – avec Nova Twins
The group have been keeping themselves busy during the lockdown and have now released a music video for 'Ridé tout Paris' from their self titled album SÜEÜR released earlier this year. Check out the video below.
Also check out album single 'MTM (Sur ma vie)' below.